Deciding to adopt is a major milestone for any parent. At Jiwa Law Corporation, we understand that adoption can be a complicated process and you may be facing a whirlwind of emotions. Our lawyers will walk you through the steps so you can focus on your future family.

In BC, the adoption process is governed through the Adoption Act. Any person who is 19 years of age or older and a resident of BC is eligible to adopt. This includes anyone who is single or in a same-sex or opposite-sex relationship.

There a number of ways to adopt a child in BC. Some of the most common ways include:

Adopting from Foster Care: The provincial director of adoption works with the Ministry of Social Services to find loving families for children in their care.

Infant Adoption: This form of adoption involves working with an adoption agency who works with birth parents and prospective adoptive parents to find a placement. This also applies in cases of direct placement, where the birth parents want to place the child with someone who they know (and who is not a relative).

Adopting from Another Country: A licensed adoption agency will make arrangements to bring a child to Canada from abroad and the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will make the final decision on whether the child is allowed to enter the country;

Adopting a Relative or Stepchild: A step-parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, or other family member can apply to the BC Supreme Court for an adoption order. The Court will consider the child’s best interests and consent is typically required from the child’s birth parents.

In some circumstances, families may also wish to adopt someone who now an adult. If the adult consents, a court may issue an adoption order for an adult if it is satisfied that they lived as a member of the family of the prospective adoptive parents until becoming self-supporting.

Depending on how you choose to adopt, the procedure will be somewhat different. The lawyers a Jiwa Law Corporation can help you prepare for the process and avoid any preventable delays or complications.

Request a Consultation