Losing a loved one can be devastating and being tasked with the responsibility of handling their estate can become overwhelming. At Jiwa Law Corporation, our estate lawyers work with executors and families to help ensure the process runs smoothly. If you are an executor or intend to be appointed as an administrator, we can walk you through each step of the estate administration process.
As an executor to an estate, you are responsible for carrying out the instructions of a will. This can include a variety of tasks. The Government of British Columbia suggests the basic duties of an executor include:
- Completing an inventory and valuation of all assets and debts;
- Gathering names and addresses of all beneficiaries and next-of-kin;
- Cancelling subscriptions and charge cards, redirecting mail and wrapping up other personal matters;
- Taking control of all assets, including the transfer of ownership registrations and the collection of any debts;
- Paying all valid or proven debts left to the estate;
- Filing tax returns for the deceased and for the estate;
- Selling assets as necessary and distributing the estate; and
- Preparing and obtaining approval from the beneficiaries, heirs-at-law or the court for accounts showing assets, receipts, disbursements, and distribution of the estate.
In addition to this, you may be required to apply to the BC Supreme Court to have a will probated. Probate is the process that verifies a will is valid according to the laws of British Columbia. Our estate lawyers can walk you through the probate process and assist with filing the court application and all of the supporting documents. This includes preparing and filing documents such as a certificate of will notice search; a detailed inventory and valuation of all assets and debts; the plan for distribution; and all affidavits required by the Court for the probate process. Our lawyers can also provide you with timely legal advice to ensure the process proceeds smoothly and without delay.
The responsibilities of an executor can be complex and stressful. At Jiwa Law Corporation, our estate lawyers can ease the burden. We offer straightforward advice; are highly experienced in the probate process; can assist you while dealing with financial institutions, creditors, or other third parties; and will look out for your best interests if any unforeseen complications arise.