Marriage Annulment Law

A divorce order terminates a valid marriage. In some cases, partners can apply to the BC Supreme Court to have an invalid marriage annulled – meaning the marriage never existed in the first place.

An annulment is only granted if the Court is satisfied the marriage was invalid. This could happen in very specific circumstances, such as:

  • One spouse was already married to another person;
  • One spouse was less than the age of majority and did not have parental consent to get married;
  • One spouse lacked the mental capacity to understand that they were getting married;
  • The spouses are too closely related;
  • The marriage was conducted under fear, duress, or fraud in such a way that a spouse could not consent; or
  • One spouse was so impaired by drugs or alcohol that they did not understand they were getting married.

An annulment requires an application to the BC Supreme Court and a hearing before a judge. Sometimes, it is easier to simply get a divorce order if both partners can agree on any related issues. However, for some people it may be important to confirm that the marriage never existed in the first place, and that can only be achieved with an annulment.

Some religious or cultural institutions offer annulments in accordance with their respective rules. It is important to note that religious or cultural annulments are not legally recognized in BC.

It is also important to note that, even though two partners are not married, they could still be common-law spouses in BC if they have been cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship for 2 years or have children together. If so, it is important to consult a lawyer regarding your legal rights upon separation. Speak with a Marriage Annulment Law expert today.

Adoption Law

Deciding to adopt is a major milestone for any parent. At Jiwa Law Corporation, we understand that adoption can be a complicated process and you

Read More »

Legal Agreements

Whether you are entering a new spousal relationship, or have separated from your partner, it is always a good idea to consult an experienced family

Read More »

Child Custody Law

We understand that custodial arrangements can get complicated, stressful, and frustrating. Our office can walk you through the process and ensure your child’s best interests

Read More »

Child Guardianship

Guardians exercise parental responsibilities for a child and only a guardian may claim parenting time for a child. Parental responsibilities include: • Making day-to-day decisions

Read More »
Collaborative family lawyer with open hands showing illustration of family.

Collaborative Family Law

The Collaborative Process is a way to resolve disputes without going to Court. Unlike traditional divorce or separation proceedings, both spouses work together to come

Read More »

Divorce Lawyers Vancouver

Jiwa Law Corporation: Trusted Vancouver Divorce Lawyer Divorce is a difficult family law matter, one that often causes our clients large amounts of stress. Consulting

Read More »

Independent Legal Advice

Some spouses may be presented with a marriage agreement, cohabitation agreement, or separation agreement. This could happen at any stage in your relationship – whether

Read More »
Graphic demonstrating process of mediation between spouses.

Mediation & Arbitration

It is in everyone’s best interest to avoid excessive conflict and costly litigation. Jiwa Law Corporation is a results-oriented law firm that excels in Mediation

Read More »

Legal Parenting Plans

Legal Parenting Plans – Custody, Access, and Parenting Time We understand that custody and parenting plans can get complicated, stressful, and frustrating. Our office can

Read More »
Couple in separation process sitting on couch showing diagram of separation

Separation Law

Going through a separation with your spouse can be a difficult and stressful time. You may wish to consult an experienced family law lawyer to

Read More »
Cover for spousal support family law. Silhouette of mother and child next to calculator, illustrating spousal support payments.

Spousal Support Law

After a divorce or separation, one spouse may be required to pay spousal support to the other spouse by Court order or through an agreement.

Read More »