BC Divorce Lawyers

Getting a divorce can be a difficult and stressful time. You may wish to consult an experienced family law attorney to help you prepare and to provide assistance at the various stages.

Whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, the lawyers at Jiwa Law Corporation can help you at each stage of this process. We offer experienced legal representation both inside and outside the courtroom. This can include providing honest, straightforward advice; advocating your best interests in negotiations or mediations; or fighting for you at trial, if necessary.

How To File For Divorce

Spouses are able to divorce by applying to the BC Supreme Court after being separated for at least a year. The Court may also grant a divorce if it is proven that one spouse committed adultery or inflicted physical and mental suffering that would make it impossible to continue living together.

When applying for a divorce, you should have plans ready for:

Commonly Asked Questions

A divorce order is usually granted after spouses have lived apart for at least one year. The one year waiting period does not apply if there has been physical or emotional abuse or if a spouse has committed adultery.

The timeline to get a divorce order from the court can vary. If a divorce is uncontested, the application can be filed and processed with the Court in a couple of months. A divorce is final 31 days after a divorce order is granted if that order is not appealed. If spouses are not able to agree on issues such as property division, child custody, and child and spousal support, the divorce is contested and it will take some time to resolve these issues before the divorce can be finalized.

Family Feud: Top 8 Things To Have Before Asking for a Divorce

As I was watching one of America's hottest game shows hosted by Steve Harvey, an interesting question came up for the feuding families.     They asked 100 people to name the top 8 things to have before asking your spouse ...
Read More

How do I get a divorce in British Columbia?

How do I get a divorce in British Columbia? Well, are you married? You must first be married to get a divorce. If you have been in a common law relationship, there is no need to obtain a court order ...
Read More

Request a Consultation